Sunday, June 29, 2014

HMS Pickle (1799)

Here is my new Langton Miniatures 1:1200 scale model of the Tops'l Schooner HMS Pickle. She carried 8 x 12 pounder carronades and a crew of 40. I have converted the model for use in "Sails of Glory" to carry dispatches, transfer the Admiral's flag, etc. 

Under the command of Lt. John Richards Lapenotière, Pickle performed valuable tasks at Trafalgar, not possible for the much larger Ships of the Line. 





She rescued survivors, towed dismasted vessels and was selected to take the dispatches: “Sir, we have gained a great victory. But we have lost Lord Nelson.”




This model was painted and lightly rigged by myself. I'm no Master Modeler and rarely show images of any of my own work. However, encouraged by my friend Jeff Lower (a real artist) I was encouraged to show what I have been able to do.



Here Pickle is compared with much larger rated vessels in the Ares Sails of Glory fleet.








I hope this shows that Langton 1:1200 models, at least the smaller unrated vessels, can be used alongside the 1:1000 scale SOG models. This opens lots of possibilities for customizing the fleet.


My next experiment in, terms of SOG compatibility, will be to see what can be done with Langton frigates, next time by a real Master.