Sunday, December 27, 2015

St Nazaire Raid, 28th March 1942, refought 10th October, 2015

On October 10, 2015, I participated in a Fire & Maneuver demonstration game of the 1942 Raid on St Nazaire. My friends and I built the detailed set, my personal role being very limited. The game was unusual and exciting as the small British fleet of motor launches accompanied the HMS Campbeltown on its final charge on the lock gates of the Nomandie dry dock. I took the role of the British commander. After the run-in to the dock and the mole, the on-board commandos have a furious fight to attain their objectives, demolish their targets and attempt to escape on the motor launches. 

The game took place at an HMGS event in Anaheim. The author of Fire & Maneuver developed most   of the scenery, the ships and the special rules pertaining to this raid. It produced a thrilling game and a delight to look at.