Sunday, December 27, 2015

Newark: Royalist Stronghold of the English Civil War

During my summer travels in England, I was able to visit the city of Newark-on-Trent, This was a very important Royalist stronghold and the subject of several sieges.  The city itself is very interesting with a magnificent and unusually large town square. Outside the city walls is the best preserved example of a Civil War earthwork: the Queen's Sconce. Here are some pictures of this beautiful and historical city.

I started my visit at the newly opened National Civil War Centre in the Newark Museum. This is a small but interesting museum in an early stage of its development but well worth the visit.













 I then wandered through the historical streets of Newark, heading for the Queen's Sconce.






































I finally arrived at the park containing the Sconce after a several mile walk.















 I continued my walk towards the River Trent via the River Devon.